Wednesday 30 January 2013

A Big Day

Today was a Big Day for me.

I'm sure there's lots of people out there who will go "Huh?" and plenty more who will go "What a wuss!" but for me, it was a milestone.

See that?

Dark bay ears... hacking out alone... with me on top!

Chips (pronounced Sheeps, not Tchips) came with us, which I wasn't to happy about initially, but it turned out Aero looked on her as a companion, not a predator.
We had a mostly uneventful forty minute hack.  The bit that was not Mostly Uneventful was when two big black dogs came charging at us, barking ferociously.  Fortunately, Chips turned out to be a useful decoy and she distracted them while Aero and I made our escape.  We were both a bit worried about her for a while, but she reappeared eventually (unscathed).

Aero was a bit lazy heading out and a bit turbo-charged heading home, but the feeling of tension throughout his body that was apparent even when walking in hand three months ago is gone.

This week has been great with both horses, I had a really good arena session with Aero on Monday where I felt like I was actually getting somewhere with him, followed by another good session with Flurry on Tuesday (after I chipped all the muck off him!)

I'm not sure if I'll get to ride on Thursday (Cinny has to go to the Vet) or Friday (the farrier is coming) but even if I don't, it's been a good week.

Go Aero!

6 comments:

  1. Congratulations! That is a real milestone and you even had to deal with the wolves:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, that's lovely :) I know that feeling of reaching a milestone! Keep up the good work, nice and steady.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you! I only have two horses now and if I take one out, the other is going to go nuts. Will have to take her along.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "... people out there who will go 'Huh?'" Bravery is where you find it. I remember being chuffed to pieces (usage?) that I was able to make it from Florence to a town on the edge of Rome, including ordering a taxi in Italian, for the WEG fence judge briefing all by my lonesome!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good for you and Aero! I congratulate you on having the nerve to take him out alone and certainly don't consider you a wuss. Glad the dog was a good companion.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks everybody! Ye're a very supportive bunch out there in the Bloggosphere!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments - I may not reply to them all, but I surely read them all!

Apologies for introducing Comment Moderation, but I've been getting some strange hits recently and I want to reserve the right to control what gets posted here.